[openmoko-announce] Some light ahead...

Sean Moss-Pultz sean at openmoko.com
Wed Apr 25 01:51:45 CEST 2007

Dear Community,

We owe you all an update as to our status. Here it goes...

Last week we finished 200 devices. Of these about 50 seem to have some
problems but the rest are functionally complete, tested, and ready to
go. We know the source of the problems for the 50 that failed and this
is already corrected. This is great news because it means we can finally
start to move out of engineering sample mode and into real production!

These first 150 (or so) devices will go to phase 0 developers and our
internal / external developers -- of which many still don't even have
phones!

Oh and Imre Kaloz gets a freed phone, too. Thanks for being the first to
tell us about Atheros. We're almost for sure going to use their AR6K
chipset in our next product.

We must forewarn you all that we're having some supply issues with our
2.8" VGA LCM. Our vendor has had more than their fair share of troubles
moving this LCM into mass production. We have some in stock now. But
this might be the major bottleneck moving forward. There are only a few
companies currently making LCMs of this size and resolution.

Finally, we've already begun moving production into one of our factories
in mainland China. There are two runs scheduled now: May 10th and May
20th. We're going to take those runs a bit slow just to make sure the
quality is high. And then starting in June, things can run full speed.

Thanks again for your continued support and patience. The light at the
end of the tunnel is getting a little brighter :-)

Sincerely,

The Core Team