[openmoko-announce] Call-for-WiFi (was Re: Crossroads)

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Wed Mar 14 16:34:48 CET 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 12:51:00AM +0800, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:

>   1) We can't find a WiFi Chipset with GPL'ed drivers -- We know
>   this has been discussed (to death) on this list, but as we're
>   beginning work on the next summer hardware refresh we still can't seem
>   to find a vendor that meets our strict requirements: Namely, we refuse
>   to put anything binary in the kernel.
>
>   Marvell has some nice for larger devices (the 8388). But we need
>   one specifically for mobile phones (like the 8686). If somebody
>   can help us find the right vendor, we'll give you a free Neo1973.
>
>   If you're a vendor and want to work with us to GPL your driver, we'll
>   give you lots of business -- and a free phone ;-)

I've added this (and some more info) to
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/WiFi_support_in_OpenMoko

We have received a lot of feedback from the community on our inquiry so
far, but almost all of them cited WiFi chipsets for miniPCI/USB use.

We absolutely need chipset (or even SMT module using the chipset)
specifically designed for the power and size constraints of mobile
phones or other equipment such as portable media players.