Openmoko Bug #1193: Severe performance problems with Pulseaudio

Openmoko Public Trac bugs at
Sat Jul 26 21:34:23 CEST 2008

#1193: Severe performance problems with Pulseaudio
 Reporter:  mjr at     |        Owner:  openmoko-devel
     Type:  defect         |       Status:  new
Blockedby:                 |

Comment(by peepsalot):

 Not sure if this is the same issue, but I have a freerunner, and have
 attempted to play some media with openmoko-mediaplayer2.  The audio
 constantly pops and crackles.  Even the touchscreen tap sounds have
 crackles and pops at times.

 Pulseaudio appears to use about 22-24% CPU when playing an mp3, and media
 player uses about 25%
 So while there is still about 50% unused CPU, the audio quality is still

 I'm no expert at linux audio, but it seems to me that running at 50% CPU
 should not cause skipping.
 Is there maybe an audio buffer that could be increased to help with this