Openmoko Bug #2032: [Installer] only show packages that are visible in launcher

Openmoko Public Trac bugs at
Mon Sep 29 13:58:12 CEST 2008

#2032: [Installer] only show packages that are visible in launcher
    Reporter:  will         |        Owner:  tick
        Type:  enhancement  |       Status:  accepted
Reproducible:               |     Blocking:

Comment(by tick):

 According to the talk record at 2008 24'th Sep with William:
 Visual packages include:
   Visible modifications in system

 System Update :
   Only show up in official updates or releases
   One and only one if has update
 e.g.  2008.9 --> 2008.10

 Package naming:
   Should be able to give anyname to a package?
   desired by initial author?
 That means packages that can be shown is not only those packages on
 Desktop but those can affect user usage experiences.

 What I will do is divide this issue into several steps.
 1. Adding alias scheme into packagekit & assassin.
    Tags: alias::xxxxx
    . prototype done at assassin 254, packagekit need patch
 2. adding more status of packages in packagekit.
    Adding update.
 3. No longer search for system_update. just search for group and dispatch
 them into correct category.
 4. Search system-update first.
    "search name" for system upgrade

 After having alias scheme, we also can solve some usability problems. for
 example: qtopia-phone-x11-(I cannot see)
 We can alias them in the future.