Openmoko Bug #2229: GSM was working fine for months, suddenly will not register using any GSM stack

Openmoko Public Trac bugs at docs.openmoko.org
Wed Jun 10 01:09:52 CEST 2009

#2229: GSM was working fine for months, suddenly will not register using any GSM
stack
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  danek2    |          Owner:  joerg
     Type:  defect    |         Status:  accepted
Component:  hardware  |        Version:  GTA02v5
 Severity:  critical  |       Keywords:  calypso, gsm, registration
 Haspatch:  0         |      Blockedby:
Estimated:            |    Patchreview:
 Blocking:            |   Reproducible:  always
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------

Comment(by dadap):

 Replying to [comment:3 joerg]:
 > reset on registering clearly looks like a weak worn battery (or dirty
 contacts) so voltage drops below the magic 3.5V due to high source-
 impedance when modem starts to draw current for TX-activity.
 > Please try a spare bat, or probe actual voltage of bat at connectors
 with a scope (~0.5s/div) during registering.

 Hi, this is danek2; I forgot my trac password and didn't set an e-mail the
 first time around, so I couldn't reset it. Sorry for the long delay, but
 I've been very busy. (getting married soon... wedding prep requires a non-
 trivial amount of effort, and already swamped with work to begin with.)

 I finally found my Nokia dumbphone with a compatible battery, and it still
 doesn't register. I don't have access to a scope; only a multimeter. I'd
 really, really like to just send the phone in to be looked at, and I'd
 really, really like to have a working unlocked GSM phone in time for our
 honeymoon in six weeks, and it would be great if that phone was the
 Freerunner. All of my current GSM phones are locked to US providers.

 Can I please just send this in? Is GTA02v5 actually under recall anyway?

--
Ticket URL: <https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2229#comment:14>
docs.openmoko.org <http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/>