Can The Proprietary GPS Daemon Be Removed?

Frode edorfaus at xepher.net
Sun Dec 3 03:41:34 CET 2006

Hi,

Just wanted to ask something here, that I didn't really see answered in this
thread - from what I've gathered, the AGPS daemon is proprietary closed code,
and I assume that uninstalling it would make AGPS unusable (*please* correct
me if I'm wrong on this), while leaving the rest of the system working fine.

My question is: would it be possible to use non-assisted GPS without the
proprietary daemon? Or will that too be disabled without it?

-EdorFaus

P.S. I've known about OpenMoko for a while now... At first I was impressed
(still am) but didn't really think I'd get one; thought maybe once v2 is out,
with WiFi - however, the more I've been thinking about it, the more I seem to
be leaning towards buying one (v1) anyway. :P It's just too neat (and I've
thought of several uses I'd have for it already, despite never having a PDA
before, but being used to a laptop) not to.
And so, I'm back (didn't really look at it after I first saw it, but got
reminded again recently), and this time found a mailinglist to subscribe to -
I just finished reading the archives. :) Got a couple things to comment on,
this one being first - since it's the last in the archives, thus most fresh
in my mind.