Text entry

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at hrw.one.pl
Wed Dec 6 17:29:26 CET 2006

Dnia wtorek, 5 grudnia 2006 06:49, David Ormsbee napisał:

> > Did you thought about languages other then English?
> > What about national chars?
> > Switching languages during write?

> I haven't really considered other languages for the simple reason that
> I know very little about them.  The only other language I use is
> Korean, and that's so totally different from English that the entire
> layout has to be rethought for it.

Every language has own rules. You can write application in such way that
users can define own language sets.

> I just looked up the Polish alphabet and it looks like Latin + some
> diatrics.

To be exact: Latin + 9 national chars (small and capital ones). But Polish
was example.

> I'm guessing that making a Polish keyboard that doesn't suck will
> require someone who's proficient in Polish.  Switching to a Polish
> keyboard layout (or any other layout) would be done either with
> hardware keys, or an onscreen button...

Or in prefs by selecting languagepack.

> Which actually brings up a question of mine.  I did a fair amount of
> programming for the Palm OS, but almost nothing beyond trivial
> examples for GTK.  Is there some common framework/API that OpenMoko
> will be using to accomodate various text input modes?

GPE users?

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

    There are three types of people:
    Those who don't know what happened, those who wonder what happened,
    and people like us, that MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.