GPLv3 and Mobile Phones

Oleg Gusev oleg at crista.uni-wuppertal.de
Sat Dec 9 13:42:38 CET 2006

Am Samstag, 9. Dezember 2006 13:24 schrieb Gabriel Ambuehl:

> Supposedly even that is too proprietary (I think we were over this at some
> point)...

I guess you are booting your computer from linuxbios ? :)

> But then a closed GPS daemon is ok just because it doesnt live in
> kernel.

Closed GPS daemon is not a smart idea from the very beginning.
AFAIK it does not load anything to the receiver, and only processes
the incoming data.

> So if we can figure out a way to have WiFi drivers run in userspace
> that might be ok?

It is unethical behaviour and defeats the idea of Openmoko.
Such approach is already implemented by wince ;)

 Oleg.