SD on Sharp Zaurus 5500 (was: GPLv3 and Mobile Phones)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Sat Dec 9 22:06:41 CET 2006

This is way off topic, but I can't stand it uncorrected.

Oleg Gusev wrote:
> Am Samstag, 9. Dezember 2006 17:59 schrieb Richard Franks:
>>
>> You might have to perform some really ugly hacks to ensure this
>> backwards compatibility, and it may even affect overall system
>> performance - but it's still a pragmatic choice - the Zaurus was stuck
>> on principle, the unwillingness to invest significant kernel changes
>> or compromises because of a closed-source module.
>>
> I have an original Zaurus 5500, and it still does not support SD/SDIO
> in the 2.6 kernel.  An experienced kernel hacker can easily write a driver,
> because the card is on a simple SPI port.
> It was not done to protest against the decision made by Sharp to
> include a binary driver.
> Was it really a pragmatic choice ?

This is just plain wrong. It is extremely hard to come up with an SD
driver for the Sharp Zaurus 5500, because there is 0 documentation
about the Locomo custom ASIC used in this particular model.

I don't know where you got the notion of some "protest against the
decision made by Sharp", but this is just nonsense.

Having been the maintainer of OpenZaurus for some years, I know
everything about the SD problem. If it would be easy, it would've been
done since long.

Regards,

:M:
--