GPLv3 and Mobile Phones

Sean Moss-Pultz sean_mosko at fic.com.tw
Sun Dec 10 16:12:09 CET 2006

On 12/10/06 3:02 AM, "Stefan Schmidt" <stefan at datenfreihafen.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 11:45, Dave Crossland wrote:
>>
>> My question is if the separate system-on-a-chip is ROM, or if it can
>> be upgraded?
>
> With ROM you refer to chips that can be written only once? I doubt
> that many of such chips are still alive.
>
> Keep in mind that I'm not speaking for the FIC team here. The flash
> chips containing the BP OS will be able get new firmware flashed. I'm
> pretty sure that no GSM stack is bugfree.

Stefan is totally correct here. The GSM subsystem is most certainly not ROM.
Protocol stacks, even really mature ones like Ti's still have their fair
share of bugs. Really you need to think of the GSM part as a complete
(proprietary) system. It just uses AT commands to talk with the application
processor.

-Sean