SoC has no soundcard - which IC will do this? Re: audio link Re: Peer Discovery

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Dec 12 01:08:41 CET 2006

Salve Richard,*!

BTW the SoC does not have a soundcard, which IC will do this job?
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/MobileSoC/ApplicationProcessor/ARM9Series/S3C2410/2410UserManual.pdf

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Richard Franks wrote:

> >efficient data transmission via audio mustn't sound well
> >for the user - DTMF for transmitting your phonenumber
> >would be acceptable, but the other modulations?
>
> Heh! That idea was intended just for handshaking/swapping business
> cards - very small amounts of data. Hands up who wouldn't sacrifice a
> little speed, for a phone that shared business cards with a fellow
> Neo1973 with cute 'threeps' and 'twerps'?
>

> >To beem your virtual business card via audio it would be
> >nice when the data transmission would be encoded into
> >a non uggly modification of a voice output:
> >"I'm beaming you now my virtual buseness card - complete"
>
> Or multiplexing a higher frequency data signal, if the hardware supports it?

What does we know about the hardware? I hope we will use audio i/o
and that the device will also have audio in.

Back to the idea to transmit bcards data via audio, in some situation
it would be nice to do this silently, but to make it hearable has
advantage - the user knows that something happend and the can controll
that the sound is loud and clear enough.

And it was just my proposal to do not only focus on speed
(threeps....), then on "nice sound" to. ;)

> >Such a solution could be also run on other smartphones with
> >java - send and receive business cards and more without
> >Bluetooth or IRDA nor cable nor online connections.

> I wonder if it's possible to support the basic modem signalling
> protocol in software?
Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_Radio

> but if for
> the price of a local phonecall and an old PCI modem, I could call a PC
> and encrypt whatever I liked through that connection.. it could end up
> being a cheaper, secure, alternative than GPRS?

I don't know about the Neo1973 but most GSM mobils does support data
calls with 9600 Baud, and AFAIK does this calls cost the same price
as normal phone calls. I have used a PalmPilot my mobil (with IRDA link)
with a data calls to fetch and send emails...
So this is an alternative to GPRS.

Because the telefon audio is encoded it is not so "funny"/easy to use
normal modem algorithem to send via GSM audio. Maybe 1200 Baud, a 1/4
of the data-calls would be possible. So I'm not shure if this would
bring any advantages for somebody...

But I thought about two ideas
- J2ME client for business card beaming via audio for non-Neo1973 phones
- audio link to PCs for internet access.

BTW I'm not an amateur radio operator (yet...) but here is a link
to a Knoppix image for hams
http://www.afu-knoppix.de/neu/index.php?lng=1&id=22
I'm shure that hams will love OpenMoko/Neo1973 for digital connections
:)
And because of this, could imagine that a GSM mobil with a software
tranceiver (or just PMR, DMR)  would be a nice thing... *g*

Greetings,
rob