GSM security question, mic directly connected to the GSM chip? Re: GPLv3 and Mobile Phones

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Dec 12 19:05:37 CET 2006

Salve Atlasz!

Atlasz schrieb am Dienstag, den 12. Dezember 2006 um 18:09h:

> if you take apart a phone (any phone), you can always work-around thi
> problem by making a short electrical de-tour between a mic and the board

of course - but it I do not care about me, it just would be more smart,
when every Neo1973 is more secure than other phones, because of it's
design.

> -> a little switch between mic and board will do it fine and you need
> only some nice small switch what you can hide somewhere on the side of
> the phone from inside with easy access.

Nice idea, but don't be disapointed when I'm interested in a general
more secure design for the Neo1973 - or when the Neo1973 has already
a more secure design than other phones to use this argument for
promoting this phone.

Vserver on the phone, encrypted SMS and calls, black/white filter for
incomming calls/SMS, CryptoFS - montable for some vserver guests
are also argument for this phone to use in enviroments with high
interest of privatcy - economicaly, politicaly managment,
for journalists or advocates.

More communication privatcy would not only a contribution for
the socity, it would also increase the market for OpenMoko/Neo1973
- for selling the hardware, but also for doing consulting and
service. Consider the hardwdare cost of a firewall and the
real cost for a firewall implementation.
Privacy/Security will be a growing market - not only for
hardware ;)

Greetings,
rob