The audio IC Wolfson WM8753 is cool :)))))

Richard Franks richard.franks at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Dec 12 22:39:19 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 21:54 +0100, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> I dont think you cound go round and stick a FPGA into Neo1973 at this point of
> time, either.

I took the FPGA stuff as NeoXXXX ideas - is doesn't seem that
far-fetched to imagine a future model with an expansion port for a bunch
of different things, so this may have some utility after all :-)

> I agree. I just don't think the FPGA is really needed for that. More dedicated
> hardware and some more general purpose CPU power would help more (it surely
> would be useful if the SoC could actually do VGA @ 30FPS) in the next
> generation.

The datasheet certainly suggests that the SoC is capable of VGA @ 30FPS,
I think someone suggested that it couldn't, but they didn't provide any
sources when I asked and I lost track of the thread.. so I'm still under
the assumption that the datasheet is correct.

Although, it is dependent upon the driver implementation - DMA seems to
take the brunt of the load, but there was a lot of other stuff in the
LCD Controller section which, frankly, scared and perplexed me and I
didn't take time to understand it properly.

Richard