[Neo1973] AGPS - globallocal cuckoo's egg? Re: AGPS server questions

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Wed Dec 13 14:24:10 CET 2006

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 13:57, Robert Michel wrote:
> I fear AGPS from globallocal is a coockoo's egg - they anounced that
> their AGPS chips cost only 5 US$ - I fear they will make money with
> their AGPS server services

If the GPS can do indoor GPS without assistance (which is what the site seems
to suggest, to me anyway) were are still better off than with a similar GPS
only chip that has neither indoor nor AGPS features, right?

If it won't do that, the chip is rather useless to me.

There's no way in hell I'm gonna *pay* someone to constantly know where I
am ;)

> >     - get authority from cell providers and network operators for
> > AGPS to go through them
> GPRS/SSL

Agreed, if you pay for the traffic, they better do not interfere with it. The
telcos being common carriers could even get into major trouble for doing
that, let's just hope network neutrality is being upheld...