[Neo1973] AGPS - globallocal cuckoo's egg? Re: AGPS server questions

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Wed Dec 13 15:23:04 CET 2006

Salve Sean, Oleg, *!

Sorry, it was not my intention to then my mail to the list,
and probably it has not the right style/sound - I didn't want
to write bad about globallocal, I just feared that assisted
data for the globallocal AGPS is based on a non open protocoll.

Oleg Gusev schrieb am Mittwoch, den 13. Dezember 2006 um 14:54h:

> Am Mittwoch, 13. Dezember 2006 13:57 schrieb Robert Michel:
> >
> > Maybe I don't know enough, but for me it smells like that globallocal
> > AGPS is only used with AGPS servers - and with the risk that this
> > server knows the location of every globallocal user after connection.
> >
> It's obvious ;)

That I don't know enough, or that globallocal AGPS chips are only
talking with globallocal AGPS servers or just proxies, which are
talking with globallocal servers?
Or both? :)

> > I will go on this topic - but I fear that AGPS from globallocal is not
> > open enough to feed my mobil with own data - independend of globallocal
> > server.
> >
> The globallocate receiver works without any AGPS.
> HP ipaq hw6515 and 6915 have it connected over SPI,
> you can find the details here
> http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=SableGPS

This is fine, but i would like to run an own AGPS server,
connect via SSL to him and use the AGPS power of the chips
as well - without running fees beside the GPRS traffic
and without leaving information of my localisation on any
third party server.

Even more, when the assisted data protocoll is open and our
test with the Neo1973 shows that it worth to use AGPS, I like
to lobby that a MediumWave Digital Radio Mondial station would
broadcast LEO or AGPS data.

But Sean answered us and I will be polite and patient.
I'm conviced that the globallocal chip will be great,
but because of this great feature inside the Neo1973,
I'm a bit afraid that AGPS has no free protocoll to serve
AGPS data ourself.

rob