openmoko as a slimserver client or remote control

Robert Michel openmoko at
Wed Dec 13 18:51:08 CET 2006

Salve Stefanie!

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Stefanie Tellex wrote:

> This requires wireless internet, but it wouldn't be hard to get a
> slimserver client running on the phone, so you could stream your mp3s to
> the phone and listen to them.  Push a button, and your phone starts
> streaming music from your server.
> Slimp3slave is a command line client using the old udp protocol:
>  Slimserver has a newer TCP
> based protocol as well, but there isn't a C client yet.  (Slimserver
> itself is a GPL'd perl program, so a C client for the new protocol isn't
> hard, it just hasn't been done yet.)

Of course it would be possible to run Slimp3slave, but consider
that this would only for slimdevice owner

So IMHO it would be more interesting (for more people) to have a
free server like icecast and use this to a GUI frontend player

And to have the total freedom - the songs could be on PC A,
the soundcard on PC B and the Neo1973 would controll to play
this songs.

> Even cooler would be adding a remote control interface to slimserver
> that runs on the phone.  You pull out the phone and start controlling
> the music coming out of your speakers.  We have two slimserver clients
> in our apartment: it could use GPS to figure out which one is closest,
> and connect to that one to change the volume, switch songs, or whatever.

Yes this would be cool, but until I haven't saw it with my own eyes,
I would not expect GPS accuracy <10m indoor.