FCC status for FIC Neo1973?

Paul Bohme openmoko at bohme.org
Thu Dec 14 02:13:53 CET 2006

Jeremy wrote:
> I'm no expert at all, but I do know that when we were designing a
> device with a Kyocera m200 CDMA data module
> (http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/m2m-business/index.htm), the module
> itself was carrier (Sprint in our case) approved and FCC approved, but
> once we incorporated it into our device, we then had to get it
> re-approved by the carrier and the FCC (though it is typically an
> easier process when using an approved module already).  I think the
> deciding factor may be whether the module is "stand-alone" or not...
> But I say that with the disclaimer that I could be completely wrong. :)

My experience so far putting modules for both GSM and CDMA into another
product has been similar - even though the module itself is 'approved'
the actual application to which it is put must also be run through an
evaluation process.

As far as carriers in the US, I know Cingular is good for GSM.  Not sure
who else?  Are approval issues going to be a problem for the Neo1973 in
the States?  (Am looking forward to getting one, and not being able to
use it as a phone would be a serious damper.. ;-)

  -P