GPLv3 and Mobile Phones

Oleg Gusev oleg at crista.uni-wuppertal.de
Fri Dec 15 13:54:19 CET 2006

Am Donnerstag, 14. Dezember 2006 20:55 schrieb Richard Franks:

> A case in point:
> "If a module arguably isn't a derived work, we simply shouldn't try to say
> that its authors have to conform to our worldview... [snip] ...nobody
> should be forced to behave according to our rules just because they
> _use_ our system."
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/13/370

"Most developers of the kernel community consider non-GPL kernel modules to be
infringing on their copyright. Novell does respect this position, and will no
longer distribute non-GPL kernel modules as part of future products."
http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html

There are not that many non-GPL ARM kernel modules
(Locomo SPI and m-sys DoC G3 come to mind), and
i'm sure we will get rid of them soon.

> I realised that if the decision to leave out Wifi was not a purely
> technical one -- then the decision was forced by those who can shout
> "ETHICS!" the loudest.

I think any reasonable person understands that wifi/BT was left out
because of financial reasons.
Following the ETHICS of "maximize profits, minimize losses".

 Oleg.