Killer Application (was: a lot of things)

Richard Franks spontificus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 19:53:40 CET 2006

Salve Rob!

On 12/15/06, Robert Michel <openmoko at robertmichel.de> wrote:
> And who think know - "nice" - but this will no "killer application for
> a phone" does still haven't understood that beside good core phone
> function there will be no single "killer application" for a smartphone.
> smartphone = mobil PC + GSM/GPRS
> In my eyes is the "killer function" of OpenMoko/Neo1973 that nearly
> everything that you could do with a PC will be possible to do with
> this smartphone.

Apple doesn't have 'killer applications' as such, but each application
which comes close draws upon a consistent coherent interface - the
'just works' philosophy. I'd say this is even more crucial for a
mobile phone as you have less opportunity to 'fix' things without
ready access to a keyboard.

Unfortunately, all the major brands have the 'just works' thing
already, by tightly controlling which software can or can't run on a
particular phone. I'd imagine this will cause headaches for the
OpenMoko maintainers - do you allow a potentially 'killer' application
onto the feed, even if it doesn't play as nice with the rest of the
system as it could?

I really can't wait to see how this is addressed in OpenMoko!

Richard