emergency call - fallback to call without SIM Re: capacitor to call the police without battery and SIM card *g* Re: Fun with Stolen/Lost Phones..

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 01:47:12 CET 2006

On 12/16/06, Robert Michel <openmoko at robertmichel.de> wrote:
> Without SIM card is the keyword. There are people got into trouble,
> especialy in the mountains and they didn't made an emergency call
> because their GSM network was not strong enough.
> Only a few GSM user does know that then it help to remove the SIM
> card to do a emergency call with any GSM network.

In Australia they're considering banning 000 (emergency number in AU)
calls from mobile phones without SIM cards. Apparently they've had
tens of thousands of calls from such phones, but not a single one is
genuine and most calls come just after school ends - so probably kids
playing pranks. I don't think they've blocked this yet, but I'm not
sure.

> On the longterm an OpenMokophone with thuraya.com satellite
> module could be interesting :) Phoning somewhere on a sea
> with an OpenMoko phone.

I'd rather have Thuraya use OpenMoko for their phones (isn't that the
point of this?). The 5020 isn't out yet, but is planned for Windows
CE. Is there time to save them?

Ben