Internal flash size

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Wed Dec 20 19:14:12 CET 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Jeff Andros wrote:

>> >  User - yes, developer - no. To get working toolchain installed I need
>>  128M
>> >  for rootfs. So I will have to boot from card or chroot to card or use
>> >  symlinks.
>> >

> as far as I know this is going to be like any other embedded device, you're
> crosscompiling so the toolchain lives on your lappy /desktop where you've
> got 100's of gigabytes, if not terrabytes, of storage.  not to mention the
> difference in monitor and keyboard you'll likely have.  yeah, the
> dev/build/test cycles are a lot slower, but the environment makes up for it

Yeah, but how cool would it be to compile apps ON YOUR PHONE!

Ok, let's all agree that we are now in the realm of "shiny geek toys" and not
general consumer electronics.

If I recall correctly, there was a port of GCC to the original Zaurus, so one
could compile on the PDA. Nothing fancy, just a very minimal collection of
tools and support files. I'm pretty sure it required some extra memory
(original Zaurus had little memory but included an SD slot), but it wasn't
outrageous, certainly less than 1 Gig.

I personally would consider this very workable: A USB thumb drive with GCC,
header files, libraries, my source code, and whatever else. A small battery
pack (MAKE magazine sells a kit for $20:
http://store.makezine.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKMINTY) for USB
power if needed. A script to set up the required symlinks. Other develepment
tools as required (vi, cvs, etc.)

Is that technically feasible? Sounds like it is for me. And no extra work is
required on the part of FIC - all we have to do is get the toolchain to work
on the Neo.

Always dreaming,
Michael