AGPS closed source drivers = DRM for public data

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at
Wed Dec 27 14:14:51 CET 2006

On Wednesday 27 December 2006 13:44, Marcus Bauer wrote:
> It is a question of community pressure to get FIC either using a
> different chip or to get Global Locate to open the protocol specs.
> The good thing is that Sean is an all pro open guy :)

Considering that we have an userland application that drives the chip,
shouldn't it be relatively straight forward to reverse engineer the protocol?
After all, the kernel could easily log what the daemon does. That should
easily fall under clean room reverse engineering and thus be legal.

But of course it would be better if Global Locate would simply provide it...