hardware questions FIC Neo1973 Smartphone

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Thu Dec 28 18:41:43 CET 2006

* Oleg Gusev <oleg at crista.uni-wuppertal.de> [061228 16:30]:
> Am Donnerstag, 28. Dezember 2006 16:24 schrieb Andreas Kostyrka:
> >
> > Any chance to upgrade the modem (say via firmware) to support EDGE?
> >
> AFAIK firmware update is not supported.
Well, one could hope. I'm just trying to apply what I learned about my
usage (I had one T-Mobile Sidekick, and now have a Nokia 9500
Communicator).

I use these things primarly for the following stuff:
*) phone (including SMS)
*) Ebook Reader (aka webbrowser file:// urls :) )
*) Chat client (currently Jabber, I use it to bridge some private IRC
channels, plus to get alert "pages" immediatly)
*) Data entry/query (currently via the Chat client, don't ask)
*) Email client
*) Generic webbrowser
*) ssh client for emergency stuff.

The above list is more or less sorted by my priorities.

Some general observations:
a) GPRS is ok for chatting, surfing "lightweight" pages, and imap email.
b) Despite the fact that the Nokia has WLAN, I usually surf via GPRS
even at home (where I've got a 250MB a month package from TMobile
Austria), OTOH, T-Mobile Austria has EGPRS support with the Nokia.
c) I'm a heavy user, and I tend to use around 1MB a day on average. With a more
generic device I might get tempted into downloading more stuff, OTOH
GPRS speeds make that not so cool.

> > Next thing, USB is host or device side?
> >
> Unpowered USB host.
>
> > (Basically can I plug an USB
> > device into the phone
> >
> If you will power  the USB device by other means..
Well, all devices? Or will USB memory sticks work without additional
power? How much power will the phone support?

> > Will the device include Bluetooth?
> >
> It is still unknown ;)

Considering that the things should be currently being manufactured (if
they will be shipped in January) that makes one wonder.

Andreas