Security implications of untrusted apps

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Fri Nov 17 09:35:22 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 08:59:36AM +0100, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> I think there needs to be a process by which software can get into the
> repository. There's certainly some security implications that need to be
> taken care of...

At that point I wondered if the phone could support some kind of sandbox
for untrusted apps. It could feature
 - restricted access to the phone network, e.g. only data transfers, no
   calls
 - restricted access to confidential data like address books
 - a kind of secure attention key to bring controll of the touchscreen
   back to a trusted application

Of course, with a truly open architecture, it would somehow be possible
to implement such features. But depending on the system libraries, it
could be more or less difficult.

Jan