A marketing angle

Alex Savvutin alex-svx at mail.ru
Mon Nov 20 23:05:39 CET 2006

Hello everyone!

I've being reading the mail-list for a some time, but this is my first post. :)

I just thought that there's also another interesting device on the market - the GP2X Linux-powered gaming console, which is open too. It might be interesting to study their experiences with marketing such device based on Open Source ideology (BTW: the Wikipedia article says they've sold about 30000 devices as of October). But sure - it is harder to develop games (I mean it takes more time and requires a good graphics artist to make good graphics content!).

Robert Michel wrote:
> students with time and interest to learn haven't much money,

You are right! I'm such a student! :) I wanted to buy a Gumstix for more then a year... or two. :) So it would be nice to be able to do some hardware hacking with Neo1973 - such as adding sensors (accelerometers, etc).

The thing that we won't be able to play with GSM/GPRS hardware (besides AT commands), isn't very "open", but that's Ok! (BTW: Trolltech GreenPhone works the same).

Also, Bluetooth is very important for me, but Wi-Fi isn't so important (there's GPRS, so no Wi-Fi would be Ok for me).

Best regards and good luck,
Alex Savvutin