A marketing angle

Ben F-W openmoko at flemingwilliams.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 18:11:48 CET 2006

David Schlesinger wrote:
> If the software
> stack is solid and usable enough, it could be possible to pitch it to
> carriers in time; on the other hand, if there are problems with the
> software or the device, it could get...interesting.

 From the perspective of the operators (carriers), they'd be giving up
an awful lot of control of the user's experience by offering the
OpenMoko software stack. They currently use that control to try and
raise ARPU, for example by making sure picture messaging is high on the
menus.

I think the only way to convince them that it's worth giving up control
is to show that OpenMoko users have a higher ARPU than the average
customer. This may indeed be the case: I expect people who buy the
Neo1973 will be much more frequent users of data services, which is the
current operators' holy grail. And many of the applications that are
currently being discussed on this list would similarly raise data usage
(although sometimes at the expense of voice). If the users of OpenMoko
do spend more on average, there may well be more adventurous operators
testing the waters in time.

Ben