Voice encryption?

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Nov 21 20:10:59 CET 2006

Salve Sven!

Sven Neuhaus schrieb am Dienstag, den 21. November 2006 um 16:40h:
> the access to the GSM module in the Neo1973 is limited to the AT-command
> set.
AT-commands are not bad.
This access means the maximum on leagal access.
I don't know a country where a phone where you can manipulate the

IMEI (International Mobile Station Equipment Identity)
MSISDN (Mobil Subscriber ISDN)
IMSI (International Mobil Subscriber Identity)
MSRN (Mobile Station Roaming Number)
codecs
frequencies
would be leagal, and also I hope that my networkprovider
would kick out a phone that try to do this very fast.

> Does this mean voice encryption is impossible or do we get access to
> the audio stream both from the GSM and from the microphone so it can be done?

When you want to have encrypted phone calls you would not want to
put your datastream via the strong compressed audio stream
- you would use a data call.
But when you think about putting additional messages into your
audiostream.... this could be interesting...

Your question is a good one because of a second reason,
when the Neo1973 should run asterisk
- have an answering machine
- have voice menues
- the chance to monitor your calls
it *must* have the freedom to access the mic and the gsm sound i/o
directly...

Can't imagine that wouldn't be possible...
rob