GPS App idea

Richard Franks richard.franks at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 22 21:19:08 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 20:43 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> >> does agps require a sutiable infrastructure at the network operator
> >> side or does it just work?
> >
> > The 'assisted' part suggests remote (charged) computation. I was
> > thinking of something more sneaky, bearing in mind increased access to
> > the metal -- mind you, when I read the spec I missed the point that the
> > Neo1973 uses AGPS, *not* satellite GPS anyway!
>
> AGPS uses satelites when available.

Indeed, I'm not A GPS-ologist :-)

>From reading up on various sources, I'm still unclear as to whether the
Global Locate chip in question can function:
* Exclusively via the network operator (basis of IndoorGPS?).
* Exclusively via GPS signals where network coverage is absent.

Obviously, the features available determine the scope of applications to
be developed.

Any info on whether the particular GPS mode chosen, and/or
satellite/tower details will be available to the OM API? I'm thinking
along the lines of star-finding/satellite-spotting!

Cheers,
Richard