A marketing angle

Ben F-W openmoko at flemingwilliams.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 00:36:32 CET 2006

Richard Franks wrote:
> <snip> the main competitive
> differentiation is that you will be able to find software for the phone
> to do just about anything. That is, instead of focusing on a particular
> 'killer app', make the 'killer app' the fact that you are not being
> restricted by or charged for features or applications.

I can certainly see that being interesting for a subset of people,
Richard: those who *want* to be pushing the boundaries of what their
phone can do. But the majority of people want, as Graham Perrin put it,
"the clicky speaky thing in my hand/pocket... to be as *simple* as
possible". The ability to add new programs means unlimited opportunity
to some, unlimited complexity to others, and I think people will need a
clear, proven, safe, simple benefit to draw them over to the OpenMoko.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong - but certainly for desktop Linux, the
benefit you mention doesn't seem to be enough of a draw for the majority.

Ben