Airplane Mode

Richard Franks spontificus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 01:02:59 CET 2006

On 11/27/06, Robert Michel <openmoko at robertmichel.de> wrote:

> Or for those of us who are talking for hours... a voice
> message for the owner or both could annouce
> "dead spots 5 minutes ahead - good connection starts in 30 minutes"

I really really like this idea.

Psuedo Implementation:
1) Neo takes a few GPS (Not AGPS) fixes if possible when 'dead spot'
is detected. TTFF not so important here.

2) Neo takes another few AGPS fixes when cell-signal returns. Use simple
heuristics to determine whether more fixes are required to reduce
margin of error to an acceptable level.

You now have one or more vectors - each vector gives you some
indication of the geographic nature of the 'dead-spot' - (position,
speed, heading).

3) Your phone uploads this data, in addition to the time interval for
which no signal was detected, to add to a database of similar vectors.

4) Dead-spots are then calcuated by probability. Of course, some
filtering is required.. but with the time interval, it's easier to
discard the occasions where someone lingers in the 'dead spot'.

Or is dead-spot info already in the public domain?

I think this could also be handy in buildings and on street-level -
where coverage is determined by factors more complex than cell-tower
location.

Richard