[Spam?] Re: google earth - [was: Re: Another simple GPS+GPRSidea]

Richard Franks spontificus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 20:37:15 CET 2006

On 11/28/06, Richard Franks <spontificus at gmail.com> wrote:
> however for all the towns and
> cities I've lived in, the actual street layouts and names don't change
> terribly often.

Let me qualify this rather anecdotal statement.. I don't think
street-layout/renumberings change often enough to be show-stopper
problem for a project like OpenStreetmap.

If you work a lot with streetmap data, then you probably deal with
renumbering/layout changes on a daily basis. But what percentage of
roads require such changes per year? What percentage of the total
streetmap mileage is affected? Does this occur more frequently in
urban, suburban, or rural areas? I think you'd need to take account of
at least these variables to determine the extent of the problem, and
the ease of the fix.

I'm also thinking in terms of highway maintainance -- if one section
is under maintainance, and traffic from both directions are forced to
share one side of the highway.. then temporary traffic information
could be mined quite easily if the highway is wide enough to draw
conclusions from the offset in expected GPS vectors.

Likewise for accidents, or temporarily blocked roads. All it requires
is a few more programmable GPS devices on the roads who share data,
and you have the basis for an automonous dynamic nagivation system,
which has the potential to report back issues rather quickly.

Richard