Small evaluation, city: 4 Internet Cafes, 3 Copy Shops, 2 Photo services; university: 1 library , 1 computer room

Richard Franks richard.franks at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 29 23:12:58 CET 2006

On 11/29/06, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:
> > Hey! This is the first project idea which we (the community) could
> > start today and complete even before the first Neo1973 ships,
without
> > access to the SDK or any other data. Booya.
>
> That isn't true. You can start coding a a pure gtk+ app right now, and
it will run on the
> neo quite well.

You just sank my Booya.

Without access to the SDK/API, or an understanding of the hooks or
capabilities or feature-support in the API, or what screen
resolutions/depths/modes will be natively supported by the first
release, I don't imagine we'll see many *useful* GTK+ apps which take
advantage of the Neos features until then. Yes it is possible, just
terribly unlikely.

So okay - it's the first community project idea I've read which could be
developed, *fully tested*, and be ready to go on day #1 of the release
of the Neo1973, without ever seeing the hardware or requiring more
information than we already know.

Unless it already exists, I'll do some research tonight.. anyone
interested in joining the coding/design effort?

Richard