Another idea for an application for the Neo: Instant sync to web page duplicating info on phone

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Thu Nov 30 00:46:11 CET 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Tim Newsom wrote:

> I love this idea and I would like to suggest a method of handeling a portions
> of it...
>
> Use web services... Web methods or whatever you call it.  If you build an api
> for uploading sets of data they could be implelented in almost any lauguage
> and used natively like normal objects.
> Perl, php, python, java, c# can all do that and it means the backend does not
> have to be rewritten every time someone wants to use it in a language.
>
> Also, you could then provide a bundle of code for the server backend that
> handles the web service requests which anyone could run and point their own
> phone at their server.
>
> Authentication included.
>
> /shrug  just an idea.
> --Tim

I guess what you're saying is that my original idea requires a certain
infrastructure: an API which the Neo can use to communicate with a server, and
code running on the server which can understand and respond to the Neo's
requests. Perhaps the server too can initiate the conversation.  A library and
API is required on the server side too. So now you have a general purpose
library upon which a server application can be written that can exchange data
with the Neo, including authentication, encryption, etc.

Given this library, any application can be written on the server. My original
wish is just an example of one, in which case the UI is a web page. But much
more than this can be done, limited only by our imagination.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Michael