Fwd: Please think about incrementel sync Re: Another idea for an application for the Neo: Instant sync to web page duplicating info on phone

Jeff Andros whitedrought at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 02:47:34 CET 2006

<snip>

> Without thougths like that you will have an incredible GPRS traffic =
> costs.
>
> > ICS is really simple so
> > we could host that from the device as well. If Apache isn't small
> enough,
> > even stripped down, there are several server apps that are optimised for
> > this kind of environment

I don't do a lot of data on my phone at the moment mostly I use bluetooth
for this kind of thing, so I hadn't thought about costs... the other thing
we could try is an XML transfer of just the data, offloading the formatting
onto another server... the cool thing about this is we could run both
directly from the phone or from an intermediary depending on preferences and
the particular situation.

When you use an intermediary server, that will handle the heavy lifting on
building the page and you could have a nice ajax-y interface, direct from
the phone you could remotely store an XSL-T stylesheet to give you the
frontend.  this minimizes the data that needs to go back and forth.  sending
files back and forth I'd rather use something else, but in a pinch we could
use an svn client which does send only the file diffs back and forth, plus
storing the whole machine's drive on subversion gives us a nice backup in
case someone throws you into the pool with your phone in your pocket (it's
all fun and games until someone loses thier {email | phonebook | files |
blackmail photos of drunk friends})  you could also use this like so:

{user to phone} request update/commit cycle from phone to repository
{user on desktop} update local copy of phone filesystem
{user on desktop} make appropriate changes to files
{user on desktop} commit to repository
{user to phone} request update from repository

where you are not on your phone, and are making commands from a browser

Apache/whichever servers we're running handles the encryption, and now you
can get to the current version of your system through websvn from anywhere

--Jeff