Publish the mechanical specs as well (was: Re: Bluetooth, WiFi, Australian Market)

michael at michael at
Thu Nov 30 05:27:03 CET 2006

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Ben wrote:

>>  On 11/29/06, Ben <shadroth at> wrote:
>> >  Alternatively, could you make a communications add-on pack? (I don't
>> >  mind big phones) with BT, WiFi and maybe even IR included?
> On 11/30/06, Jeff Andros <whitedrought at> wrote:
>>  You mean something like the old school ipaq sleds?
> I would settle for something like that, but I don't think it would
> fare well in the general market.

Indeed, not good for the general market, but wonderful expansion possibilities
for a geek like me.

Which brings up another point: Usually "open" refers to the software and
hardware, but a third component is the mechanical. If the connectors are
commonly available, and if FIC publishes all the important dimensions and
locations, it would be possible for third parties and even capable hobbyists
to build sleds, desk cradles, and other such fixtures.