Another idea for an application for the Neo: Instant sync to web page duplicating info on phone

Alessandro Iurlano alessandro.iurlano at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 10:08:48 CET 2006

On 11/30/06, Selem Delul <necrodome at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nokia did it. (http://wiki.opensource.nokia.com/projects/Mobile_Web_Server
> )
> So yeah, it is possible. They are using a gateway to translate an url
> to your phone's web server (and i guess they are using it to
> communicate with the phone which is behind the operator's proxy)
>

> On 11/30/06, Jeff Andros <whitedrought at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It may be easier if the phone has an accessable IP address... I'm not
> quite
> > sure how GPRS works, some one who knows let me know... but we could set
> up a
> > embedded web server on the openmoko device itself.  ICS is really simple
> so
> > we could host that from the device as well. If Apache isn't small
> enough,
> > even stripped down, there are several server apps that are optimised for
> > this kind of environment

What about using a repository of a version control system on the server PC
(CVS or better Subversion) to keep the files
and using add commit update to transfer data? This way you could easily
recover any mistake you do on your data
but there is need for more space. Subversion also has a binary diff
algorithm to store differences for non textual files.

This could easily serve as information transport mechanism and some script
that do an add on creation of new data
(provide connection is not needed), do a commit when there is a connection
and do an update on the serve could
do the trick.

Just my 2c and yes I've been working _a lot_ with subversion lately :)

Bye all,
Alessandro