tomtom on the Neo1973

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Mon Apr 2 11:42:51 CEST 2007

On Monday 02 April 2007 08:13, Hans L wrote:
> I guess it is a question of whether the map providers are willing to
> cooperate and divulge the details of their file format to an open source
> project, or alternatively converting their data into some open format for
> use with such a project.

In my experience this is highly unlikely. Their first thought would be content
protection - and on OpenMoko you (should) have none. When they license data
to software companies, it's easier, since they have NDA-s, contractual
obligations, etc, but they would see no incentive to open up their formats.
The income from end users buying open format data is minuscule compared to
the possible damages from pirated data and/or lost bulk contracts from their
point of view. And to reiterate a personal opinion about commercial software
on OM - please do not change or put a minute of effort in OpenMoko to make
commercial software run easier than any other software (unless you get a
substantial donation :) - if a company is to make some money on OpenMoko
users, let it at least pay it's own costs in full.