An Update

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Mon Apr 2 21:38:44 CEST 2007

Depends on the development model. Peter Naur has an interesting take
on software development, which I paraphrase... The software that's
released is an artifact of the true value of the organization; the
ability to efficiently communicate models in the problem space
amongst the people that are building the solution. [1] My personal
take on the famous "shallow bug theory" is that successful open
source projects built by a lead user[2] community tend to be
structured in such a way that the highest payoff problems are the
ones most efficiently modeled. In other words, people select models
and tools for communicating problem descriptions in such a way that
refinement of the problem space appears very rapid. From an outside
perspective, this looks like "a bunch of eyeballs fixing a bunch of
bugs, some of which are serious"

Baldwin, et al. have pointed out that Conway's Law [3,4] applies to
open-source as well closed-source software.[5] (Conway's law is, as
the great oracle of the Wikipedia puts it, "Organizations which
design systems are constrained to produce designs which are copies of
the communication structures of these organizations.")

So my assertion here is based on observations by Naur, Conway,
Baldwin, von Hippel, &c... Corporations that view their value as
being derived from the software they produce are bound to produce
processes that are less efficient at developing software that meets
the needs of lead users. I believe this to be the result of interplay
between software components, requirements and "value extraction."
Commercial software vendors are rewarded financially by creating
systems that lead to lock-in: systems that make it easy to change
from the competition and hard to change away. Lead users are rewarded
financially by producing technical solutions that solve their
immediate problems.

(Commercial) software implementations that lead to "lock-in" are less
attractive to lead users over the long term because once a lead user
is locked in, the commercial entity supporting the user is less
motivated to provide a "cornucopia of options" for the lead user's
next problem. Commercial software vendors know that their systems
have real costs for users migrating away from their products, and
therefore have to produce a lower quality experience because they
know that their customers know that there are costs associated with
switching implementations.

Many open source components do not have this requirement. If they are
to be used, they must continue to be useful in the long term, lest
they fall by the wayside (FreeSWAN comes to mind.)

To recap:

Lead users are individuals with a financial motivation to use
technology to solve a business problem. Lead users' problems are
often unique to their organization (or even to individual users.)

Corporations attempt to build "short head" products in an effort to
reduce the per-transaction cost (i.e - you want to spread the fixed,
NRE costs over as many widgets as possible to drive down marginal
costs so you have the option of lowering price (to compete on cost)
or increasing margin so you have more money to pour into R&D so you
can compete on features.)

Corporations who make software toolkits evolved a strategy of
increasing market-share via "lock-in." (Market share is important if
for no other reason than when it's time to justify your P/E ratio,
you can point to lock-in as a way to capture revenue for emerging
markets. e.g. - "Smartphones are big business over the next 10 years,
and now that we've cornered the Smartphone market, we're sure to
capture 70% of the revenue.")

Corporations are motivated to spend money on adding features
attractive to new user communities (in order to increase market
share) but sometimes less motivated to spend money on adding features
for existing users communities who have changing requirements
(because they know that the benefit of a competing solution minus the
cost of a competing solution must exceed the benefit of their
solution plus minus the cost of their solution AND the cost of
changing to the new solution. I call this the "what do you mean you
don't want to adopt Cobalt?" effect.)

Open source projects maintained by lead users that survive are those
whose benefit cost minus adoption cost is greater than that of other
open source or proprietary implementations; AND whose architecture
supports low cost modification to meet the next generation of lead
user requirements.

That "given enough eyeballs, all bugs or shallow" seems to have some
truth is less a statement about the process of finding bugs with a
bizillion open source developers and more about the fact that the
source bases whose architecture makes expansion and debugging easy
have an evolutionary benefit in the darwinian competition for mind-
share.

I think it also explains why open source projects can be only 80% as
good as the last guy needed them to be and still be competitive with
some proprietary implementations. [6]

-Cheers!
-Matt H.