tomtom on the Neo1973

Hans L thehans at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 01:59:27 CEST 2007

On 4/2/07, Andrew Turner <ajturner at highearthorbit.com> wrote:
> Right, but the bigger question is if Google wanted to develop &
> support their GmapsMobile for OpenMoko. This will be difficult.

I think this is a common misconception.  Google Maps Mobile runs on
Java(J2ME), so as long as the phone can support that, it should be
able to run.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=39891&topic=9120

But again, as was mentioned earlier, it does not cache tiles, and
requires GPRS connection for every use.  I have Gmaps Mobile on my
current phone, and it is a decent application if you have an unlimited
data plan.  Also AFAIK, it does not integrate with GPS at all.  I'm
not sure though because my phone does not have GPS.

- Hans Loeblich