Multi-Touch

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Wed Apr 4 00:50:29 CEST 2007

I personally like the configuration of my synaptics touch pad. I have
left, middle, and right clicks (1, 2, and 3 finger tapping,
respectively), and I can also use the right and bottom edges for
vertical and horizontal scrolling.

However, keep in mind that touch *screens* are very different in design
than touch *pads*. With a touch screen, the cursor moves to the
coordinates of the pressure. With a touch pad, the cursor does not move
based solely on pressure being applied. Instead, touch pads track the
motion of the pressure point and move the cursor in the appropriate
direction and speed. Mixing and matching the capabilities of these may
be more difficult than we think, not just from a hardware/driver point
of view, but also in user-friendliness.

~Bradley