Google maps & caching

thomas.cooksey at bt.com thomas.cooksey at bt.com
Wed Apr 4 18:36:34 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I've read through several threads on this list, and others, which
discuss the use of Google Maps for mobiles. It has been mentioned
several times that Google doesn't allow map tiles to be cached. I've
read through the Google Maps API "Terms of Use" and I can't seem to find
any mention of caching being prohibited. Could someone please point me
to the relevant section please?

I find it a little odd that Google doesn't allow caching of map tiles as
they are quite large and I can imagine Google's server & bandwidth costs
are huge if every tile is fetched directly without going through a
caching http proxy.

My train of thought is going along the lines of running squid or similar
on the actual phone...

Cheers,

Tom