Blacklist/whitelists

Joe Shmoe anonymous.simpleton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:37:36 CEST 2007

I'd like to hear what the current plans are for black/whitelists.

Call and text behavior should not be coupled.  That is, one should be
able to independently ignore texts from a person while still allowing
phone calls.

Here are typical options:
  "Accept all calls"
  "Accept calls from my address book only"
  "Accept calls from the following numbers"
  "Block all calls"
  "Block calls from my address book only"
  "Block calls from the following numbers"

  "Accept all texts"
  "Accept texts from my address book only"
  "Accept texts from the following numbers"
  "Block all texts"
  "Block texts from my address book only"
  "Block texts from the following numbers"

When specifying numbers, it should be possible to select from the
address book or to type in a new number with wildcards---potentially
allowing one to block/accept all calls from a particular area code.
Additionally, it would be nice to have the following as well:

  "Ignore all calls"
  "Ignore calls from my address book only"
  "Ignore calls from the following numbers"

Ignore in this sense is meant to mean that the call will go through as
usual, but no notifications will be displayed on the phone at
all...the call will silently be received and sent to voicemail after
the specified number of rings.  That is, if an 'ignored' number calls
my phone, I should not know that they called accept if they left a
voicemail and my phone is set to notify me when I have new voicemails.
 The ignore option is useful if you have a 'friend' who really
shouldn't be in your phonebook---you wouldn't want people using your
phone or people checking your phone to know that this friend called.
Also, you wouldn't want the person calling to know that you are
ignoring them.
Of course, this is just an example.

Finally, will we be able to have multiple address books?  It would be
nice if I could set ring styles (loud, vibrate, silent, ignore,
etc....as discussed above, ignore is different from silent) for all
entries in a particular address book.    I suppose this is just like
categories...so if we could set rings styles for all entries in a
particular category that would be just as good.

The only reason I ask for multiple address books, is that it might be
neat if I could send someone my "work" address book...or if I could
simply delete my "paintball" address book when one of them shoots me
in the eye repeatedly and I vow never to paintball ever again...for
example.