Blacklist/whitelists

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Fri Apr 6 20:15:17 CEST 2007

Tim Newsom wrote:
> That seems weird... Even in email you can turn off read receipts... It
> seems like an invasion of sort (though a minor one) to not allow
> disabling of delivery reports for the receiving party.
>
> If the sending party can enable it and the receivers phone
> automatically responds, then you can always know when someones phone
> is turned on/available.
>
> Does the sms message system work while the phone is in call mode? Does
> that require multiplex code also like the gprs while on a call does?
> If it doesn't work while calling, you can always find out when someone
> is done talking on the phone / is available to talk (assuming they are
> at the phone) by sending an sms with delivery report first... Right?
>
> Seems like there should be some kind of control message that could be
> sent over the serial port via 'AT' commands which would enable and
> disable this.
> --Tim
Ok, I'll be honest that I have no proof that this is how it actually
works, but I don't think it works the way you are saying it does.
Again, not 100% positive, but the "receipt" that you receive is only a
message that it has been successfully transfered to the carrier.  The
carrier will then try to push the SMS to the recipient whenever they
become available.  So there are two discreet actions.  1) Transfer from
sender to carrier 2) Transfer from carrier to destination.

Rather than get all worried about big brother, just do a simple test.
Turn off a phone and send a text message to it.  See if you get a
receipt.  If you do, then I'm right.  If you don't get a receipt until
the phone you sent a text message to is turned back on THEN commence the
meetings of the tin foil hat club.

-Jonathon