Blacklist/whitelists

François CHAVANT khankusho at free.fr
Fri Apr 6 20:34:28 CEST 2007

Am Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:15:17 -0500
Schrieb Jonathon Suggs <jsuggs at murmp.com>:

> Tim Newsom wrote:
> > That seems weird... Even in email you can turn off read receipts... It
> > seems like an invasion of sort (though a minor one) to not allow
> > disabling of delivery reports for the receiving party.
> >
> > If the sending party can enable it and the receivers phone
> > automatically responds, then you can always know when someones phone
> > is turned on/available.
> >
> > Does the sms message system work while the phone is in call mode? Does
> > that require multiplex code also like the gprs while on a call does?
> > If it doesn't work while calling, you can always find out when someone
> > is done talking on the phone / is available to talk (assuming they are
> > at the phone) by sending an sms with delivery report first... Right?
> >
> > Seems like there should be some kind of control message that could be
> > sent over the serial port via 'AT' commands which would enable and
> > disable this.
> > --Tim
> Ok, I'll be honest that I have no proof that this is how it actually
> works, but I don't think it works the way you are saying it does.
> Again, not 100% positive, but the "receipt" that you receive is only a
> message that it has been successfully transfered to the carrier.  The
> carrier will then try to push the SMS to the recipient whenever they
> become available.  So there are two discreet actions.  1) Transfer from
> sender to carrier 2) Transfer from carrier to destination.
>
> Rather than get all worried about big brother, just do a simple test.
> Turn off a phone and send a text message to it.  See if you get a
> receipt.  If you do, then I'm right.  If you don't get a receipt until
> the phone you sent a text message to is turned back on THEN commence the
> meetings of the tin foil hat club.
>
> -Jonathon

I did this kind of test several times. I'm afraid you are wrong...
You will first get a receipt explaining that the message is "waiting" then,
when the phone you sent the message to is turned on, you will get another receipt ("delivered" status).

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.