Google maps & caching

Andrew Turner ajturner at
Sat Apr 7 15:56:57 CEST 2007

This isn't entirely a restriction set by Google, but by the
originating data providers such as NavTeq or Teleatlas. They have
licensed the data to Google to use through their API. This restricts
third parties from them storing & reusing this data in their own way.

Yahoo recently put down uses like this in other open-projects.

In the end, just don't do it. Their are other alternatives (trying to
run Gmaps mobile, OpenStreetMap, other data sources, appealing to GPS
Map vendors).