[News] Dash, the internet-connected gps

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Tue Apr 10 19:41:25 CEST 2007

My nav system knows the road type (primary, secondary, etc.) and then
has settable speeds based on the type - 65 mph primary, 50mph
secondary, etc.

'Good enough' estimate, but the realtime traffic/weather seems very
useful. This is doable using traffic & weather data from existing
services that could be piped to the OpenMoko (or any device) say as a
GeoRSS stream and then used to update predictions either on a server,
or the handset. At least let you know things are "bad" ahead.

On 4/10/07, Tim Newsom <cephdon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 6:12, Dean Collins wrote:
> > Yep, coding easy to do however issues are-
> >
> > Mapping of roads and associated speed limits, almost non existent in
> > the
> > commercial space let alone in the open source space.
> <snip>
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dean Collins
> > Cognation Pty Ltd
> > dean at cognation.net
> > +1-212-203-4357 Ph
> > +1-917-207-3420 Mb
> > +61-2-9016-5642 (Sydney in-dial).
> >

> The last navigation system I had was able to predict how long it would
> take for me to get where I was going over many different
> roads..(highway,streets.. Etc) and then adjust it based on my actual
> speed and the distance remaining.  I think the speed limits are in there
> also for that purpose.
> --Tim

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com        42.4266N x 83.4931W