OpenMoko light web server

Tim Newsom cephdon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:29:13 CEST 2007

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 8:25, Peter A Trotter wrote:
> Hopefully not wading in half cocked here but...
>
> AFAIK non of the major web browsers implement threading for their
> javascript engines, or at least not within a single window. Hence when
> your asynchronous call returns it does not get executed until the
> current javascript thread terminates. Obviously this is unacceptable on
> the desktop but in terms of web apps it seems the right thing to do.
> That said javascript should only be used to enable the interface - we
> shouldn't be using it for any long execution stuff.
>
> -Pete

I think the real question is if each page has its own thread... I think
it must.  In which case an iframe or other construct could be used to
get around the single thread issue on any specific page.

Seems odd to have only a single thread when creating async requests.. It
seems like it would create a new thread for the connection and let it
wait while moving on.  In that case, the event handler would be called
by the second thread so it should all work out.  If they really only
have one thread and never switch context then it would not matter though
I guess.
--Tim