Richard Stallmans standpoint about openmoko

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Fri Apr 20 09:16:39 CEST 2007

Am 20.04.2007 um 08:48 schrieb Raphaël Jacquot:

> I'm still wondering *why* we need to use an AGPS device that's so dumb
> that it needs the *host* to do most of the calculations, when we could
> have used a SIRF-STAR III sensor, that does everything inside, just
> like
> the GSM/GPRS module.

I would suspect: size, matching interfaces, availability, cost of
additional components?

If you look at the pictured of the PCB there isn't much room...

There is a technology trend called "Software Defined Radio" http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_radio
which tries to get rid of as many components as possible and do
everything by software inside a 45nm chip...

-- hns