Richard Stallmans standpoint about openmoko

Ian Stirling openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Mon Apr 23 03:57:07 CEST 2007

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
<snip>
> I'm still wondering *why* we need to use an AGPS device that's so dumb
> that it needs the *host* to do most of the calculations, when we could
> have used a SIRF-STAR III sensor, that does everything inside, just like
> the GSM/GPRS module.
>
> this sounds like this thing is the winmodem / winprinter of the GPS world

Well...

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Hardware:AGPS#Q:_What_is_DGPS.2C_can_DGPS_and_A-GPS_work_together.3F
  Is an interesting possibility that might not be possible with that method.

A 'proper' GPS is more expensive, and the calculations are trivial. The
processor has to be on anyway in order to recieve serial data from the
GPS, so there isn't really a downside. (once it's reverse engineered).