Audio Jack 2.5 mm

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200704 at
Tue Apr 24 18:05:00 CEST 2007

"Vladimír Lapáček" writes:
> I would like to ask about the decision to use the 2.5 mm audio jack in
> Neo 1973. If it is seriously intended to be used as a music player,
> people would most likely use their ordinary headphones. In my opinion
> most widely used audio jack is 3.5 mm, so why does Neo 1973 use the
> 2.5mm one?

Judging from the high-resolution picture on the wiki it looks like the
phone has a very special 2.5mm connector with 4 separate electrical
connections (instead of the more common 3-connection version).  If I'm
interpreting this correctly they are running both ground,
left-earphone, right-earphone and microphone in one plug.  To me, this
seems much more convenient than the 2x 3.5mm plug method used for
computer headphones.

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht